Monday, February 3, 2014

So Fresh and So. . .Corny?

Simple ingredients = simple food.
This raw corn salad is one of my favorite meals. When I found these tasty Udi's Gluten Free Tortillas after eating at the Udi's Cafe at Sundance 2014, I knew immediately what my first lunch would be with them. Raw corn is one of my favorite veggies-- it digests more easily than cooked corn and it is infinitely sweeter and more crunchy.

OK, so how to? Here we go:


Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad:

Raw Corn, 1 cob, kernels removed
1 medium tomato, diced
Avocado, 1/2 fruit (yes, it's a fruit!) cubed
Herbs/Spices (I used Trader Joe's 21 Spice Salute)
Salt, to taste



You'll also need: Tortillas, like the Udi's ones, your favorite shredded cheese, sour cream, and some greens.

Slice your avocado across both
ways, then use a large spoon
to scoop along the skin.

Assuming you've chopped all your veggies, let's combine them all in a bowl, shall we? Add your herbs and spices-- if I had fresh on hand that would include roughly chopped cilantro, basil and a crap ton (technical measurement term) of freshly cracked black pepper. Now, salt to taste (this means we get to taste, which I love most!). Now-- this is what I'd add, having tasted it. A little squeeze of some kind of fresh citrus, probably lime. With the rich taste of the tortillas and the cheese, it really does need just a touch of acid.
Another ingredient I'll add
next time- makeup.
OK. Now that we've prepped our filling, let's heat up a tiny bit of olive oil in a large skillet-- I classed up the joint by using a crepe pan, so just try to keep up. You want to watch for little bubbles to start to form before you flip the tortillas, just like when you're making pancakes. Once you've flipped, go ahead and turn off the burner and grab your cheese. Sprinkle a little on each tortilla and grab yourself a clean bowl. Carefully put your tortillas in the bowl and fill each one with a few spoonfuls of your corn salad. Separate them with some greens (a 10 for presentation, friends!)  and add a dollop of sour cream to top 'er off.



Enjoy, with a side of awesome imperfection,
Katie

2 comments:

  1. Looks aMAHzing! Where can I find the Udi's tortillas?? Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found the tortillas at a local Whole Foods in the frozen gluten free bread section. They can also be found by clicking here: http://udisglutenfree.com/product-category/tortillas/

      Enjoy and let me know if you try the recipe!

      Delete