Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Awesomely Imperfect Badassery


Today's post was going to be a fun recipe-- but then this happened in Atlanta: SNOW!

I was driving home from a surprisingly sane Trader Joe's (given Atlanta's tendency towards panic at even the hint of inclement weather), and I got momentarily stuck coming up the super hill into my in-law's neighborhood. And I got scared. Since I am mostly free of judging my feelings these days, I instead focused on celebrating that I didn't melt down, jump out of the car and give up, or in any other way punk out. My point? I badassed up.

My dear friend Jessica Zelenko is a life coach, career guide, snow and sport goddess, and the genius behind Becoming a Badass.

Several times this year I've thought about that phrase and about Jess' unwavering and yet beautifully imperfect journey towards her own version of badassery. The first time was on the first of the new year, while I composed a list of, well-- not so much resolutions. More like-- things I'd like to do this year. Many of these things are physical challenges, but they are also, for me mental, emotional and spiritual. For a long time, exercise was all about getting skinny, losing weight, manipulating my body to look like I thought it needed to in order for me to succeed as an actress. Only recently have I been able enjoy moving my body, getting stronger, being really active without that nutty exercise noise coming up. Again. . . my point:

This week, Husband and I are going skiing! I have never been, but it's on the list. So-- I'm posting my list and I'll be sharing my thoughts (and probably selfies) about each item I check off! I might even add things as the year goes by. Something I won't be checking off? "Judge self if list not perfectly completed in 2014".

Definitely need a fun mask like this
for when I'm an awesome ski bunny.
Things I'd like to do this year:

-Indoor rock climbing
-More trampolining (started this last year and it's so much fun!)
-Outdoor rock climbing
-Get up at 6AM every day for a week
-Skiing
-Record 3 more ukulele cover songs
-Snowboarding
-Finish and jog at least half a 5k
-Take an aerial silks/circus arts class
-Make and share 4 how-to and recipe videos
-Do a 30 day yoga challenge imperfectly and in my own way
-Write a television spec script

OK. That's it for now. Husband and I are going out to walk (read: fall on our butts) in this gorgeous, still falling, snow!

Yours, in awesome imperfection,
Katie

Update: SNOWFUNOMGIAMSOCOLD
It's like Jack Harkness as a 6 year old.


Snow love!
Snow angel-ed the crap outta this driveway!
I'm an awesome jumper!

No comments:

Post a Comment