Monday, January 27, 2014

C is for Coffee, so brew enough for me.

There is a certain elegance to teapots. I have collected them for years now-- my favorites include a petite, floral bone china pot that has a tiny chip in the spout, and a squat, jade hued iron pot with cast dragonflies (those symbolize some kind of good juju, don't they?). But for all my love of tea vessels, my true passion lies with tea's jazzed up older sister-- COFFEE.
I would eat this like Willy Wonka eats the crap outta
that edible tea flower in his chocolate factory.


Most of us a) need help pulling our shiz together to start the day and b) need some place to meet and something to hold in our hands when we have dates, meetings, freelance jobs, and/or a need to get out of the office or home at 3:30pm. But really, what's with the obsession?

Coffee is everywhere. Starbucks (in the pilot episode of Frazier, by the way) paved the path for other mega-corp shops like Coffee Bean and Caribou. Flavored lattes and blended 'cinos are available at every Dunkin' Donuts, McD's and even some grocery chains. I sometimes hashtag my Instagram photos with #coffeesofinstagram or #coffee, because for some reason, those hashtags are associated with zillions of photos. Scenes in films, webisodes and TV (Hello? "Friends"?!?) are set in coffee shops-- drink choices say something about a character that would take far too long in dialogue (of COURSE Zoolander's roomates go out for "Orange Mocha Frappucino!!!").


Those are just a few of many ways in which coffee and coffee talk (please stop and watch this clip now if you've never seen Mike Myers' Coffee Talk sketch)-- but to me, to this coffee nerd/purist/fiend, there is a simple joy in mastering a perfect at home pour over (how-to blog coming soon, hopefully!), or finding a new-to-me, independent space to work and sip (Cool Beans, on the Marietta Square in GA has saved my butt lately), or choosing a new variety of beans for my dad-in-law to cling to (last time was unsuccessful, but I'll keep trying). I worked at a coffee shop right after college, and I became highly skilled at helping people choose beans, change habits (do NOT store your beans in the freezer for heaven's sake unless you like fishstick scented joe), and slow down and enjoy their chosen brew. Sure. It made me feel super cool, and for a theater nerd, that's quite a coup, but it also made me slow down and savor the smells, sights, colors, and tastes of not just the cuppa in front of me, but also of the people sitting near me, the language of my writing, the laughter of a couple on a second date, and the feeling of belonging to a club that anyone could join if they wanted. I guess I hope that I never become a snob, about anything, but especially about coffee. I hope that I never judge someone for enjoying the latest seasonal drink over a beautifully pulled Americano. Because the coffee club should be open to all, to anyone, to everyone.


Stumptown's Gorgeous Rwanda
 Mountain Huye, with hints
of butterscotch, blood orange,
lime peel, and banana. AKA- YUM.

On a less "deep thoughts from Jack Handy" note-- here are a few of my favorite coffee drinks and what you might like about them!

Americano-- an old standard of mine. Espresso and water-- bold in flavor and big on buzz, this might be a great alternative to those who love a cup of bold, black coffee. Fun fact: espresso is a term for the way the coffee is brewed, not a specific type of bean or how dark a bean is roasted. You can brew any coffee through an espresso machine if it's ground properly!

French press-- you can get a pretty decent press at places like TJMaxx or even Target if you want to give this a try. My typical brew time is about 4 minutes. If you've got a large press, be sure and pour the second cup into a mug unless you want a stronger, almost sludgy, second cup. I love to use a super citrusy morning blend for my french press lately-- something sweet, yet tangy, lemony, almost tart.

Cat-puccino? Yes, please.
Soy cappuccino-- I like to use an unsweetened soy milk with a bit of honey and cinnamon at the finish. And though usually a cappuccino is equal parts espresso, milk and foam(ed milk), I like mine super dry, which means "pile on the foam like you're making a soap bubble mountain on your sisters head in the tub when you're 4." What? No one else? Pretty sure that EVERYONE gets that reference.

Cold Brew-- I'm a gal who prefers ice cream when it's 3 degrees outside, so when I was in Mammoth this fall, I had to try Black Velvet Coffee's cold brew, despite the snowy weather. Cold brew (cold coffee brewed with no heat over a long period of time) is a great way to enjoy iced coffee that is smooth, rich and not at all acidic. This is my chocolate milk, you guys. Again-- how-to hopefully coming soon!

OK, now go! Try something new! Brew a new bean! Do it terribly! Then do it better, and tell me all about it!

Yours, in awesome imperfection,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. I'll never store my coffee beans in the freezer again! Ick-- fish flavored mocha. No thank you!

    ReplyDelete